Bridging Grants Eligibility Criteria - a quick summary
Currently under revision for 2019
The Bridging Grants are open to Australian-based Researchers and Australian-based SMEs who must be the primary applicants. Please check the partnering arrangements below.
Applicants must be either Australian citizens or Australian permanent residents.
Australian research applicants are defined as those employed by a tertiary education institution, publicly funded research organisation, not-for-profit research organisation, or cooperative research centre.
SME applicants must meet the business.gov.au definition of an SME, which is the term used to refer to microbusinesses, small businesses and medium sized firms. A small business has less than 20 employees, a medium business has between 20 and 199 employees and SMEs have less than 200 employees
SME applicants must:
be incorporated as a Pty Ltd or Ltd entity
have an Australian Business Number (ABN)
be incorporated and registered for GST
not be set up as a trust structure
not be a sole trader
not be engaged in any litigation, arbitration, administrative proceedings, investigations, of or before any court, tribunal, commission, arbitral body or other agency in any jurisdiction in the Commonwealth of Australia (for enterprises based in Australia) or in the nominated priority economy
5. No applications can be made by prospective international partners.
6. Only one application per Researcher (including Research Groups) or SME.
7. You must have already identified a potential international partner and have their agreement before undertaking the eligibility test.
8. BG applications can only be made and received if you have previously taken and passed the eligibility test and you have received email confirmation of this along with a valid Bridging Grant application number.
9. If you were awarded a Bridging Grant in 2018 ( i.e. call 182) you are not eligible to apply in the 2019 round. See the FAQ section for more details
The Bridging Grants only support the following partnering arrangements:
Australian SMEs looking to partner with Researchers in a priority listed economy.
Australian Researchers seeking to partner with International SMEs in a priority listed economy.
We do not support Researcher-Researcher or SME-SME Partnerships.
Please consult the complete program guidelines for all details.
Please also read the Bridging Grants FAQ section which may assist in answering additional questions you may have.